This lighthouse is part of the Lefton Lost Lights series, a collection of limited edition replicas of some of America's lighthouses of the past; those that once were part of the network of 1,600 beacons guiding mariners safely around America's shores, but have since been destroyed, replaced or decommissioned.
Approximately midway between Chicago and Milwaukee, this Waukegan lighthouse was built in 1899 at the end of the south pier. It replaced an earlier structure build on the land during the Civil War. It lasted until 1967, when a mysterious fire resulted in the near total destruction of the fog signal building and attached lantern room. The majority of the light tower survived and was capped by an exposed beacon. This replica shows the pre-fire lighthouse.
This 2001 lighthouse replica is made from cold cast resin and sits on a wooden base with brass name plate. It measures 4.5" tall, is hand painted and uniquely numbered 191 from a limited edition of 5,000. It is offered new in a beautifully designed Lefton collector tin, with original outer packaging and certificate of authenticity.