This lighthouse is part of the Lefton Lost Lights series, a collection of limited edition replicas of some of America's lighthouses of the past; those that once were part of the network of 1,600 beacons guiding mariners safely around America's shores, but have since been destroyed, replaced or decommissioned.
Cape Hatteras lighthouse, in North Carolina, was originally built in 1803 to protect vessels from the treacherous Diamond Shoals, often referred to as "the Graveyard of the Atlantic". This first lighthouse was not tall enough or bright enough to be the safe guide it was intended to be. In 1854 some improvements were made, making it 55ft taller, and the upper half was painted red, the lower half white. This replica represents the 1854 tower, which served until 1871, after it sustained damage during the Civil War.
This 2000 lighthouse replica is made from cold cast resin and sits on a wooden base with brass name plate. It measures 5" tall, is hand painted and uniquely numbered 2,248 from a limited edition of 5,000. It is offered new in a beautifully designed Lefton collector tin, with original outer packaging and certificate of authenticity.