This resin lighthouse replica is part of the Lefton Historic American Lighthouse Collection Flashing Beacons series. It was issued in 1998 and comes new in the original packaging.
This lighthouse takes 2 AA batteries to illuminate the lighthouse and the adjacent building.
Cape Hatteras lighthouse, in North Carolina, was originally built in 1803 to protect vessels from the treacherous Diamond Shoals, often referred to as "the Graveyard of the Atlantic". This first lighthouse was not tall enough or bright enough to be the safe guide it was intended to be. Some improvements were made but the lighthouse sustained major damage during the Civil War and the US Navy pushed for construction of a new tower.
This figurine is a replica of the replacement lighthouse, which was completed in 1871 and was the highest brick lighthouse tower in the world, at 193 feet tall. It can still be seen and toured today, under the custody of the National Park Service, although it is no longer a functioning lighthouse.